How to Remove Bike Pedals?
Pedals are the most important control device in a bicycle. They transmit the forces of your feet to the wheels, driving your vehicle. And today we’ll figure out how to change bicycle pedals on your bike and then return them to their place or put new pedals in.
When may you need to change bike pedal?
Let’s start by figuring out the circumstances under which you may need to replace bike pedals. As a rule, such a necessity arises in the following cases:
- Conducting scheduled pre-season maintenance;
- If any squeaking or crunching is detected;
- Replacing bicycle pedals or connecting rods;
- Preparing your bicycle for winter storage or transportation.
Also, many bicyclists provide bike pedals remove for safety reasons because you can’t go far without them, so it’s very likely that a thief will bypass your vehicle. But we do not recommend you to use this method. A quality lock is a much more effective way to prevent theft.
Which tools are suitable for pedal removal?
The available range of tools is quite wide – they are included:
- Adjustable wrench;
- A special wrench for pedals;
- Open-end Wrench;
- Combination Wrench.
When choosing a tool, it is also important to pay attention to its thickness. The distance between the pedal mount and connecting rod is very small on most bicycles, so the wrench may not even fit into the gap.
How to Change a Bike Pedal?
The first thing to do is to look at the bike pedal threading mount – there should be an L – Left and R – Right mark on both sides. It indicates the direction of the thread. The left one is twisted counterclockwise and the right one – clockwise.
To make no mistake, just remember that you need to unscrew the pedal towards the rear wheel, and when you install it back, screw it towards the front wheel.
The process of bicycle pedal replacement is quite simple:
- It is better to hold the bike in an upright position by bending over the frame with your whole body (legs should be on the other side of the desired pedal). This way you can fix it firmly;
- Remove the right pedal. For this purpose, it is more convenient to set it to the position of 3 hours. Rotations should be done in a clockwise direction;
- Remove the left pedal. Again, for convenience, set it to the 9 o’clock position and scroll it counterclockwise.
Now you know how to install bike pedals, but we have considered only the simplest case when the mount is in good condition and regularly was cleaned by the owner before. In practice, there is often a lot of dirt sticking into the threads, which prevents them from turning normally. What to do in this case?
How to Replace Bicycle Pedals With Rust?
The first thing you should try to do is to apply WD-40 to the connection place and leave the bike for 10-15 minutes. You can also use any other strong solvent, but you will have to wait more – 2-3 hours.
If this has not led to any progress, you can try to warm the threads with a heating gun. This should heat the metal, reducing the tightness of the fit. But you should be extremely careful – you can melt the plastic elements of the pedal.
In general, in this case, it is better to abandon the “self-treatment”, entrusting maintenance and repair of the bike to professionals.
When screwing in the pedal, you should consider bike pedals thread direction and the other nuances:
- If you have removed the pedal for service and are going to use it further on your bike, you should clean it from old grease and dirt, and apply a new layer;
- It is better to start screwing in the pedal with your hands strictly perpendicular to the connecting rod axis. It is much easier to direct the thread in the right direction and prevent its deformation without tools;
- If there is a hexagonal slot on the pedal axis, you can also screw it in with an Allen key. The only thing is that it is quite difficult to give high pressure to the pedal and secure it, so after the initial tightening it is better to tighten it additionally with the usual wrench;
- Screw the pedal axle into the connecting rod firmly, but without too much effort, because then you will have a lot of problems when trying to unscrew it.
The process of setting the pedal is similar to unscrewing, but the rotation is in the opposite direction.
How to Check Your Pedals?
If you want to be sure of your bike, it is desirable to check the pedals and tighten them before each trip. To do this, you can spin the pedal and watch how it behaves during the motion. If there are any backlashes, extraneous sounds, or shifts, it is better to solve this problem before the ride.
Ideally, you should always be ready for any situation, so we recommend you to buy a spacious saddlebag. You will be able to carry a complete repair kit in it, and in case of an incident, react quickly to any breakdowns or malfunctions in the mechanisms of your bike.
- We see you like it! We hope to have a feedback from you!
- We know you did not like it but at least tell why :(
Different Next Power Climber Bikes Reviews! The Importance of Bike Brands
Is Brand Important for Your Next Bicycle? The abundance of bicycle brands is impressive. For example, you can find more...
How Many Types of Bikes Are There? The Collection of All Different Kinds of Bicycle
A Full Guide through All Kinds of Bikes One of the most useful, environmentally friendly, and economical means of transportation...