How to Paint a Bike
Factory bike paint sooner or later loses its luster, and often acquires and “life scars”: chips, scratches, rust deposits. Each cyclist can return with his own hands to his beloved transport the same gloss and gloss or radically change its design at home. We prepare the DIY bike painting guide!
What you need
For painting an iron friend you will need an aerosol car or bicycle paint of a suitable shade and other consumables and tools:
- Screwdriver wrenches of different sizes;
- Putty or mastic;
- Sandpaper with a grain size of 80, 220, and 1200;
- Degreasing agent or special car wiping;
- Brush, sprayer;
- Painted Scotch;
- Rag, sponge;
- Respirator, gloves, safety glasses.
It is better to choose a spacious ventilated illuminated room or a place protected from direct sunlight outdoors for painting work. It is desirable to hang the frame and other parts on a wire or linen rope during bicycle frame painting to ensure the best execution.
The required number of containers with paintwork materials is calculated individually. Usually, a standard bicycle requires 2-3 aerosols of custom bike paints, primer, and lacquer.
How to Repaint a Bike?
The whole process of repainting a bicycle frame can be conventionally divided into several stages:
Each step is important, so let us consider them in detail.
General repainting bike frame preparation
The first stage includes all preparatory actions: thinking over the future design, purchase of consumables, search for necessary tools. Particular attention is paid to safety. Thus, if possible, wear an apron, gloves, respirator, goggles, and the workspace is covered with film or old newspapers.
Disassemble the bike
Before cycle painting, disassemble and remove all parts and parts that do not need replacing. Do this as carefully and consistently as possible so as not to deform or break anything. For non-professionals, it’s best to seek specialist assistance or available instructions.
We also recommended you to record all actions or shoot the process on a video camera to repeat the algorithm in reverse order.
Prepare the surface
Carefully cover anything you do not want to paint, such as logos, inscriptions, drawings, with duct tape. Threaded areas are also protected similarly.
Then the bike is carefully prepared for painting:
- Degrease the surface;
- Remove the old coating with P80 sandpaper (use of sandpaper for carbon frames is prohibited);
- Remove any scratches, damaged areas, corrosion, and dents with putty or mastic;
- After drying, grind and dust off the smooth surface again;
- Apply a thin layer of corrosion-resistant primer. Note that the final shade depends on the color of the primer.
It is important to choose the right consistency of the primer, which ideally should run off the brush. Too thick solution is diluted with a solvent, and the liquid is thickened with the mixture. To cover the hard-to-reach areas as much as possible, hang the bike frame from the ceiling and treat it with an air gun.
Leave all primed parts to dry for a day hanging or on a dry and clean surface. After 24 hours, wet the dry surface and carefully sand it with P220 paper.
Let’s start the custom painting bike frame!
Direct work with the best paint for bike frame is the most responsible and painstaking stage. First of all, it is necessary to read these instructions carefully and protect your skin from paint toxicity.
Then you can make sure that the frame is clean by wiping it with a clean rag or sponge once again.
Repaint the bike evenly until it forms a homogeneous coating. If the design of the frame involves several shades of ornament, the lightest of them is applied first and duct-taped after drying. Then, the coating with other colors is applied similarly, ending with the darkest tone.
Paint scotch will help you make geometric patterns and any other ornaments. To do this, you should use your imagination and scissors.
If necessary, paint the rest of the bicycle parts: handlebar, fork, wheels, pedals.
The final steps include one more sanding of the frame with a paper with minimal grain size (for example, P400) and constant surface moistening.
Before lacquering the transport is optionally decorated with labels, emblems, or other suitable decorative elements. You can also use a stencil to paint the surface.
The final result is fixed in 2-3 layers of lacquer, which is sprayed at a distance of 5-10 cm to avoid roughness and bumpiness. It should be noted that you only need to varnish matte paints, so find out in advance whether there is a lacquer in its composition.
The freshly painted bike should dry completely, which takes about a week on average. Assembling an iron friend beforehand is risky: paint and lacquer can be damaged easily if not dry.
Check the stability of the coating by lightly pressing a blunt knife or any other unsharp object. Slipping on the surface means complete drying.
Tips and recommendations
The following recommendations and tips will help to make your work easier and reduce risks:
- Use the same manufacturer’s paints to avoid possible chemical reactions;
- Accurately calculate the required amount of consumables or better stock up on spray cans for minor repairs in the future;
- If you can’t remove the old coating with sandpaper, use a metal brush for a drill or angle grinder. A thermal hairdryer and putty knife are also suitable for this purpose;
- Rust is easier to beat with special anti-corrosion agents;
- It is better to remove old stickers with sandpaper only, as the solvent causes smearing of the glue;
- Wet grinding will make the frame matte if you moisturize the surface with a glass cleaner during the process.
- When assembling the bicycle after painting, grease the bearings, internal mechanisms, springs to increase their wear resistance.
You can renew your bicycle transport both in the salon and at your home workshop. The second option is both more economical and interesting and more productive. Only with self-painting you can fully control the process, assess the quality of materials, and make your dreams in an individual design come true.
The main thing is not to deviate from the proposed algorithm, to listen to the recommendations, and not to miss the details. In this case, a freshly painted bike will please you for a long time and will arouse envy in your neighbors.
- We see you like it! We hope to have a feedback from you!
- We know you did not like it but at least tell why :(
Second Hand Mountain Bikes: What to Look for When Buying a Mountain Bike?
What to Look for When Buying a Used Mountain Bike? Over the past few years, the world has been experiencing...
How to Bike Cades Cove? Find Answers to This and Many More Questions in Our Article!
Great Smoky Mountains – a Place for Cades Cove Biking The most famous and most visited by tourists park in...