Taking a Bike on a Plane: How to Take a Bike with You and Pack-It on a Plane?
Ride your own bike in any country you travel to! Many people think that to fly with the bicycle is an unrealistic idea, and it is better to rent a bike in a country of visit/stay. But why if you can grab your own one? Today we will talk about the nuances of how to fly with a bicycle. We will also help you properly pack such luggage super handy.
Can You Fly with a Bicycle?
If you are a fan of cycling while watching landscapes, then you would probably like to do it somewhere abroad. You can, of course, do this by plane. But before sending, it is important to know some nuances of how to fly with your bike. Here’s what’s important to remember:
- Oversized cargo must be packed separately. So you can be sure that you would receive the bike safe and sound. It isn’t recommended to put it together with other things.
- When registering, you must stand in a separate queue for those who carry non-standard cargo with an already packed car. It is here that you can get a special tag to fly with the bicycle and send luggage to its destination.
- Upon receipt, you would have to wait for some time. Since the luggage won’t be delivered to the hands of those who should receive it immediately.
- Some airlines only allow 1 bike per person.
- Learn the rules for cycling in the country you want to visit. If you haven’t done something before. It’s still worth doing it at least there. This would help you avoid unpleasant situations and fines.
In order not to refuse to accept your baggage, check with the company’s employees all the nuances of transportation in advance. To do this, pay attention to:
- the need for a preliminary request or obtaining permission to transport the bike;
- quantitative restrictions for one passenger;
- general requirements for dimensions, their differences by class (the total weight of luggage in business class may differ from the same parameter in economy class).
In addition to the above, don’t forget about the requirements for packaging. Sometimes carriers require that the bike be packed in boxes or a bag.
How Much Does It Cost to Take a Bicycle on a Plane?
On American Airlines, the bike flight cost would be $150. In this case, the entire bag with a bicycle and additional equipment must not exceed 70 pounds and 126-dimensional inches. If your bike is less than 50 pounds and 62-dimensional inches, it would cost about $25.
Note that not all airlines have such a cost to fly with the bike. Some may make this service cheaper for you, depending on where you are traveling. But in general, the price of your bike would be around $30-$90.
How to Pack a Bike for Flight?
There are several standard options for transporting your bike. Make sure that the method is suitable for the conditions of the airline, and is suitable for your convenience.
Hard Plastic Bag
This option is ideal for those who want to specifically protect the bike from all sorts of troubles. The same amount will have to disassemble the bike, remove the seat post, unscrew the wheels, pedals, and steering wheel. It is worth considering that the wardrobe trunk has a lot of weight. Keep this in mind, because to fly with a bicycle can be more expensive.
A simple and cheap option to fly with the bike is to take it that used to be the packaging for something. These boxes can be found in sporting goods stores. They are usually thrown out as unnecessary. You would only need to remove the front wheel and remember to put something soft in a few places.
Prices for bicycle cases depend on soft or hard walls, the presence of a reinforced bottom with wheels for movement. When buying them, it is recommended to check the presence of special pockets in which some removed parts are placed. Such packages are more convenient than boxes, they are compact, lightweight, and easy to carry when empty.
Without Packing a Bike for Air Travel
You just hand over your bike, but at the same time, you need to remove the pedals, unscrew the rear derailleur. To prevent damage to the frame, an elastic bandage is perfect for you. You would need to check in your bike at the oversized baggage counter.
By the way, remember that it would be nice to buy separate insurance in case of loss of luggage, if, of course, the bike is dear to you.
Which Airlines Allow Bicycles?
Almost all airlines allow taking a bike on a plane. You can read all such information about transportation on the airline’s website. If you think that there is outdated information, you can call the operator and find out all the details. It is better to do this in advance so that you can immediately decide what to do next. If the conditions suit you, you have the opportunity to immediately check in your bike as luggage.
In addition, it won’t be superfluous to ask in what form a bicycle can be transported. We have already mentioned this above. So you can prepare your bike for the trip in advance.
Well, now you know all the nuances of how to travel with a bike on a plane, and you can safely go on a trip. We recommend taking everything you need in addition to the bike. This should include a set of tools, or a multi-tool, lubricant, and more. We are sure that after the first fly with bicycle experience, you will want to repeat it. And if so, then get a special bag for transporting a bicycle. We think it will come in handy for you.
- We see you like it! We hope to have a feedback from you!
- We know you did not like it but at least tell why :(
Are Walmart Bikes Any Good? The Most Important Questions When Choosing a Bike!
Walmart bikes are always the subject of discussion. Talking about him is both good and not very good. Some take...
How to Keep Your Hands from Going Numb While Cycling? Practical Advice for Cyclists!
Many cyclists experience cycling numbness in different parts of the body during long rides. Most often, many have such unpleasant...