What Are the Best Kids Mountain Bikes? Tips on Choosing the Best First Mountain Bike
The Best First Mountain Bike: Know How to Choose!
Adolescence is an extremely important stage in every child’s growth and maturation. Riding a bicycle helps children get normal physical development. By having fun outdoors on bicycle rides, the child trains the leg and back muscles and develops the vestibular apparatus. A kids’ full suspension mountain bike can serve not only as a means of transportation but also as a personal trainer: to help improve the physical condition of the body.
The mountain bikes for teens are considered to be the most versatile type, they are bought for city travel as well as for more extreme off-road riding. In both cases, it performs well. A mountain bike is a thing mainly designed for off-road riding.
It is sturdy, but also heavy. Its tires are wide, the stars on the rear wheel cassette are big, all of which make it possible to ride on any rocky, stony or unpaved surface. However, you can also ride on asphalt in the city. In general, such a junior mountain bike – a versatile thing. But how to choose a mountain bike, what to pay attention to when buying?How to choose the best mountain bikes for kids, based on your goals and budget? This article is devoted to answering these questions!
What Is the Best Mountain Bike for Teenagers?
Mountain biking, or as it is also called MTB riding, is one of the fastest-growing outdoor activities and one of the youngest Olympic sports. Unlike the racing bike and the regular road bike, which have not changed much over the past 50 years, the mountain bike has improved and evolved year after year. The main features of family mountain bikes are wide (1.5 – 2.5 inches instead of the usual 20-40 mm) tires, the diameter (26 inches instead of 700 mm), which is a little smaller than road bikes. The frame is of special geometry with a raised carriage for cross-country riding and a large (21-27) number of gears with a wide range of ratios, suitable for any difference in altitude, which is still possible to ride with these bikes. Mountain bikes can be ridden in extreme conditions, and the demands of easy and efficient handling play just as much a role as weight reduction. This is partly why suspension forks, hydraulic brakes, and other new innovations have emerged in the MTB class.
As you have already understood, teenage mountain bikes are super multi-tasking. Bikes can be used to haul groceries from the supermarket, ride in the park, or cycle all around the world. Mountain biking is a great way to reconnect with nature and that is why you should consider buying the best mountain bikes for the youth. However, not every mountain bike can handle the most challenging trails. And as with any other type of bike, each model has its own capabilities.
Regardless of what you’re going to buy a mountain bike – riding in the mountains, off-road, downhill, or cross country -the best youth mountain bike must be reliable and able to withstand more than one year of hard use. The bike should help you improve your child’s riding technique.
Before you start choosing a mountain bike, ask your child the following questions:
- what is this bike for? What is the aim?
- determine the child’s riding style. The riding style will help limit the range of mountain bikes, which will make choosing a bike much easier;
- determine your budget. Basic model mountain bikes start at around $500, but lighter, faster, and the most expensive full-suspension mountain bikes with extensive features can easily exceed $3,000.
If you can, test out a few selected mountain bike models. It’s very likely that one of them will suit you better than the others.
What Do You Need It For?
You must clearly define the purpose for which you need a bike for your teenager:
1) for recreational riding once a week on the weekends – even the basic version is good, without the extra dodger and a second shock absorber;
2) for frequent riding – you need a machine more powerful and more comfortable;
3) for permanent riding, training, and participation in races – only a professional model, which has onboard the professional equipment, thanks to which it is able to perform many functions.
What Riding Style?
Choose the best youth mountain bikes depending on your riding style.You like a high-speed downhill from multi-kilometer mountains – the average cross-country rider will definitely not do you any good. If you love stunting, jumping on curbs – then only BMX. Particular attention is paid to bikes for tall or obese children: the youth full suspension mountain bike should go with wider tires (2.8 “), so there is an opportunity to keep rolling in places where it is difficult to move on conventional bikes.
The bicycle industry doesn’t come cheap, and we all know it. Buying a discount teenager or toddler mountain bike from the store can save you a lot of money, but you still need to clearly determine the maximum amount you are willing to spend on a new bike, as your budget can severely limit your choices.The price of a bike depends a lot on the materials and techniques used to make it. The difficulty of working with the material (such as carbon and titanium) makes them more expensive, but also lighter and faster. The complexity of the technology and technique also comes from the fact that the frame and components can be very expensive to make.
The best boys mountain bikes (new, not used) can be roughly divided into four price categories:
- From $400 to $1,000. Bikes in this category are plus or minus the same. The same frame, fork, spring, material in most cases, aluminum. The only difference is the accessories, gear shift systems, additional accessories.
- From 1000 to 2000 dollars. Differ by more sports geometry of the frame in addition to air fork, which not just locks, but really “catches” all the nuances of the surface.
- From $2,000 to $3,000. These are actually bikes for racing: carbon, produced by the latest trends in aerodynamics. The frame “eats up” vibrations, the fit is more stretched. We don’t think these bikes are suitable for aspiring young riders.
- $3,000 and up. Professional models are for those who do this for a living. This category should not be considered at all.
To sum up, we want to stress that in order to choose the best mountain bike for kids it is better to refer to the first two options, as these price ranges are more suitable for young beginners.
Think about Safety, Equipment, and Accessories
Two must-haves when buying a mountain bike for 12 years old or older:
- rear flasher – allows drivers to see the cyclist from afar. Price is no more than $10-$20;
- helmet – we have written an article on how to choose the best helmet that will fit you well. Make sure to read it! Prices of helmets – from $50-100$.
All other equipment and accessories for the kid’s mountain bikes full-suspension you may choose by yourself, as this is a personal decision.
The Best Mountain Bikes for Kids
Redux 24″ by Raleigh – Mountain Bike for 12-year-olds
We believe that a bicycle is the best gift for a 10-14-year-old child at any celebration, so we bring to your attention a Raleigh bicycle. If your child is not afraid to ride off-road and not afraid to get wet, then this aluminum alloy mountain bike for a 12-year-old boy will be just right for him! The bike has mechanical disc brakes and a Shimano Revo derailleur. The bike is set to 7 speeds, which will allow it to gain great speed. The wheels are 24″ and the frame is 23.5″. The shock absorber and fork on the bike are stiff. The price of the best mountain bike for a 12-year-old boy is $500.
Cycles REV 24 Bike by Co-op – Mountain Bikes for 10-year-olds
For an easy start for guys under 10, we recommend buying a Co-op Cycles REV 24 bike that will last a long time. Kids don’t know how to take care of expensive things, so this $400 mountain bike for a 10-year-old is a perfect choice. But don’t think the bike is poor quality because the frame of the bike is made of aluminum, which makes it lightweight.
The bike has 7 speeds, which is enough for a child, and mechanical disc brakes provide smooth, but confident braking even on wet roads.Stones, bumps, and sticks on the road are not a problem, as the bike`s tires plus-size width of 2.6 inches and 24-inch wheels will cushion it all. The main accessories installed from the company Shimano namely switches Shimano Tourney Revo Twist. Like other mountain bikes in this price range, the fork is stiff.
In conclusion, we want to give you some advice: when deciding which bicycle to choose for a teenager, listen to your child and then the child is sure to be happy with the purchase and will treat the new transport more carefully.
- We see you like it! We hope to have a feedback from you!
- We know you did not like it but at least tell why :(
Best Biking Trails in Houston: Where Are the Best Biking Trails in the City?
If you like to travel by bike to beautiful places in different cities, then you should explore Houston biking trails,...
Should I Get a Mountain Bike or Hybrid? Choosing the Right Bike for You!
Most bicycles are fairly versatile transport, but they all come in different types and are designed for specific purposes and...